This is my favorite breakfast ever! Perfect for the weekend when you have a little extra time to spend making breakfast. Spicy and savory! I’ve heard this is great hangover food as well. I’m not a big drinker so I wouldn’t know but I do agree it is great comfort food!
Traditionally there is a good amount of Parmesan cheese involved with this dish and thick crunchy white bread. But I like to make things on the lighter side to go with my personal nutrition preferences and I find once you remove those two things this is actually quite a healthy meal! Tons of spice to boost that metabolism first thing in the morning.
1 tbs olive oil
1 small clove chopped garlic
1/3 chopped onion
1 small chopper chili pepper
2 tbs red pepper flakes
Sprinkle of chili powder
12 oz can No-salt-added chopped tomatoes
Fresh chopped chives for garnish
1. Heat oil in small skillet. Add garlic, onion, and chili. Sauté until onion is translucent.
2. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes and chili powder. Mix well then add in chopped tomatoes along with their juices.
3. Bring sauce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stirring well.
4. Break eggs one at a time into small ramekin. Pour into bubbling sauce.
5. Allow to cook about 5 minutes partially covered with a lid. White should be cooked and yolk runny.
6. Toast a whole wheat English muffin and eat it right out of the skillet!